In Kolkata, Toxics Link with its local partner organization DISHA facilitated the formation of two informal sectors E-waste Associations under the European Commission supported WEEE Recycle Project and supported them to become formalized and get the authorization from the State Pollution Control board (SPCB).
• “P U Steel and Electroprocess Pvt. Ltd” is the company promoted by Prasenjit Singh and Ukil Singh having its unit in Ruia Industrial Complex under the Patulia Gram Panchayat of North 24 Parganas district. The company has received Consent to Establish (CFE) from WBPCB vide Memo No. 8448/NC/15/WBP/BR/1279/12 dated 30.11.12 with Sl. No NO70391. The company is yet to receive Consent to Operate (CFO)
• “Sheikh Tiwari Electronics Pvt. Ltd” is the company formed by Mr. Seikh Selim and his partner Mr. Pawan Tiwari which has been registered with Corporate Identity Number U74999WB2012PTC172319 of 2011-12. The company has set up an e-waste collection & dismantling unit at Sangrampur, under Nishapur Gram Panchayat area in South 24 Parganas district and has applied for the CFE.
Initially both these companies were informal units and were non compliant to E-waste (Handling and Management) Rules 2011. Under this project, these two informal units would become formalize so that they could start their businesses under a formal structure. Thus training for the owners & employees of these two associations on “E-waste Dismantling” was organized to develop skilled and well equipped workers. Proper dismantling techniques would not only increase the efficiency and productivity but also minimize threats to health & environment. SIMS Recycling Solutions Pvt. Ltd, an international recycling company facilitated this training so that workers could become aware of proper dismantling methods and techniques. Besides that, training were also being held for the workers on occupational & environmental hazards, safety measures, e-waste rules, process of formalization, advantages of entering into a formalized structure etc.
Formation of Self Help Groups
• Informal e-waste collectors of Binarite Village, Bhangar Block I, South 24 Parganas district formed “Pir Khaja Baba Self Help Group” and has opened a bank account as well. The members of this group received training on several issues of e-waste, health & environmental hazards of improper handling, e-waste rules, how they can be organized to abide by the rules etc.
• E-waste collectors of Tek Panja village of Sangrampur, South 24 Parganas district are also willing to form the Self Help Group and to open a bank account.
• All these SHG members will be linked with the two registered associations (Sheikh Tiwari Electronics Pvt. Ltd and P U Steel & Electroprocess Pvt. Ltd) once they get authorization from WBPCB.